To view this page ensure that Adobe Flash Player version 11.1.0 or greater is installed.
Compass C o nn o isseur
Open confession, I don’t cook, my husband does…and when I find a cookbook it’s because it
has recipes that we will all enjoy at home. Here are some of the favorites off our shelf.
TEX T BY CECILIA DUBON SLESNICK
THE FOREST FEAST
FRESH AND LIGHT
2, 4, 6, 8 GREAT MEALS
By Erin Gleeson
A former food photographer inspired by
the local ingredients in her new home in
Northern California, Author Erin Gleeson
put down her camera and started cooking.
Most of the recipes inside are vegetarian
and easy enough to make after a long
day but impressive enough to serve at a
swanky dinner party. Aesthetically, this
book is picture-perfect.
By Donna Hay
Balance. That’s something we all want,
especially with our food choices. Donna
Hay wrote this book not as a diet book,
but as a showcase of eating in a balanced
way. Life isn’t about denying our guilty
pleasures, it’s about enjoying them. The
book is full of beautifully photographed
and delicious recipes. Fair warning…you
might need to dust off your Kitchen Aide.
By Rachael Ray
My best friend and maid-of-honor gave
us this book just before we got married.
She knew I wasn’t a great cook, but could
follow a recipe and fair well. I’d been
watching Rachael Ray’s 30-Minute Meals
show for a few years and had always felt
like, “I can do that!”. That’s why this book
has it all. It’s a fan-favorite with easy-to-
Guacamole Deviled Eggs
1. Hard boil 6 eggs.
2. Remove the yolks.
3. Combine 2 of the yolks with an
avocado, salt, pepper, garlic powder, mayo
and spicy mustard.
4. Mash all the ingredients together and
carefully spoon back into the center of the
hard boiled egg.
5. Garnish with pepper flakes.
Whole Wheat Crust Mushroom Pizza
1. Place flour, salt, yeast, water and oil in
electric mixer fitted with dough hook.
2. Mix for 4 min on low speed.
3. Cover and allow to stand in a warm place
for 20 min or until slightly risen.
4. Divide in 4 pieces, roll into a thin round
and combine ricotta, salt and pepper.
5. Spread each pizza base with ricotta
mixture then mushrooms and thyme leaves.
6. Bake in 400 degree oven for 14 minutes, or
until the topping is golden and the crust crisp.
Patties In A Pita
1. Combine 1 lb. ground lamb (or chicken)
with spices, garlic, herbs and yogurt.
2. Form 4 very thin patties, ¼ to ½ inch thick.
3. Heat 2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil and
cook the patties until golden.
4. Dress sliced veggies and lettuce with
lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and salt.
5. Layer 2 patties and half of the veggies
into a pita and serve.